This is probably one of the most common complaints we receive and more often than not, website is up!
Please note that we must distinguish here by saying that down means uncontactable, displaying an error is a very different kind of “down”.
Let’s run through the possible reasons your website may appear to be down (and what we do in each of those scenarios).
- The server may genuinely be down.
Be assured if this is the case, we will already be working on the issue and may not be able to respond immediately to your mail (or the mails of other customers on the server), we post status updates if this occurs to Twitter, at the following address: http://www.twitter.com/BetterWebSpace (we suggest bookmarking this address or following us on Twitter).
- You may have been blocked by our security measures.
This is the most common reason for people not being able to access their website, it is caused by a large number of different factors which may include:
- Failed Passwords (simulating a Brute Force password attack)
- Too many logins one ofter another (simulating a Denial of Service attack)
- Many other factors
If you can’t see your site you should email Support with the following information:
- Your username:
- The server the account is on:
- Your public facing IP address (which can be got from here: http://www.whatsmyip.org/
- Their may be a problem with your computers routing or your ISP’s routing
If the previous two situations aren’t applicable we may ask you to perform some tests – such as visiting other websites, asking a friend if they can see your site etc. to help us check that the problem is not with our servers.